Do I have to be a University of Michigan student to practice?
- No, ALL adults are welcome to join us!
- We also have a separate kids class.
How should I prepare for my first practice?
- Wear loose, comfortable workout clothes
- Remove all jewelry (such as earrings or any other piercings, rings, bracelets, watches, etc),
- Toenails and finger nails must be trimmed
- Remove shoes and socks before entering the dojo
Can I try out a practice before making a commitment?
- Yes, you are welcome to try out two practices before making a commitment.
How much are practice fees?
- Monthly practice fees for adults are $75/month to cover the practice spaces. If you are experiencing financial hardship, please speak to a senior to make an alternative arrangement.
Who is the instructor?
- Greg Oliver is our Head Instructor. Please also see the Instructors page to learn about the all the black belts who assist Greg with instruction.
When are practices held?
- We generally have adults group practice twice a week – Wednesdays 6:30-8:15pm and Sundays 1-3pm. Please also see the Class Schedule for any special events.
- Kids group practice also take place twice a week – Wednesdays 5:40-6:25pm and Sundays 3:30-4:15pm.
Do I need a Gi (uniform) to practice?
- Yes, a Gi is required starting in your second month of practice. A basic Gi can be found online for as little as $20.
Do I need prior karate or martial arts knowledge to practice?
- No, members of all adult ages and experience levels are welcome.
Will there be opportunities to move up in Belt Ranking?
- Yes, we have belt grading in April and November each year. These months coincide with Master Funakoshi’s birth and death.